The beginning of a new year presents an opportunity for a fresh start, a chance to improve various aspects of our lives through New Year’s resolutions. As you make a list of goals to enhance different areas, consider including your HVAC system. It may seem unconventional, but think about it: your HVAC system plays a vital role in maintaining home comfort and air quality. So, why not commit to better practices and habits for your HVAC system this year? A trouble-free year with optimal HVAC performance sounds appealing, doesn’t it? Besides, by doing so, you’ll also extend the lifespan and efficiency of your HVAC system.
Here are 8 HVAC practices recommended by Newark-Heath Heating & Cooling to optimize the performance of your HVAC system this year.
- Prioritize Regular HVAC Maintenance Checks: Regular seasonal checks are crucial in preventing minor issues from turning into costly repairs. It’s important not to delay scheduling maintenance checks just because everything seems fine. The purpose of preventative care is to address potential problems BEFORE they become a major issue. Similar to vehicles, furnaces and AC units are complex machinery that requires consistent attention. Keeping up with seasonal maintenance ensures optimal performance and catches any issues early on. Additionally, staying up to date with seasonal checks helps maintain your manufacturer’s warranty.
- Prioritize Changing Air Filters Regularly: Air filters play a crucial role in maintaining the efficiency of your HVAC system. They are designed to remove airborne contaminants from your home. However, when air filters become clogged with dust, fur, hair, and other particles, they cannot effectively perform their intended function. To ensure high indoor air quality, optimize system performance, and prevent unnecessary strain on your system, it is recommended to replace your air filters every 1-2 months. Enforcing this simple maintenance task will help you maintain a healthy and efficient home environment.
- Prioritize Ensure Your HVAC Vents Frequently: Regularly cleaning your HVAC vents is crucial for improving indoor air quality. So, make it a part of your cleaning routine to create a healthier living environment in your home. It’s the small practices that make progressive improvements.
- Prioritize Upgrading Your Thermostat: A smart thermostat offers convenient remote temperature control and helps maintain an energy-efficient home. It can also notify you of potential system issues, keeping you informed and allowing you to address them promptly. Moreover, its ability to set personalized temperature schedules is a valuable investment that can yield energy savings. The best part is that smart thermostats are relatively affordable, with a variety of options available on the market.
- Prioritize Checking Your Attic Insulation: A lack of proper insulation in your attic may result in a continuously running unit or unregulated rooms in your home. Did you know that the recommended minimum insulation depth is at least ten inches? So, if you suspect yours has insufficient insulation and it is safe for you to do so, we recommend making it a priority to check and confirm. If your insulation falls below the recommended amount, consider upgrading it this year. Ensuring your home has adequate insulation is crucial for maintaining energy efficiency and comfort.
- Prioritize Cleaning Your Ceiling Fans and Light Fixtures Regularly: Just like HVAC vents, dusty ceiling fans and light fixtures can have a negative impact on indoor air quality. Incorporating them into your regular cleaning routine is crucial to prevent this. By doing so, you can improve the air quality in your home and reduce strain on your HVAC system.
- Prioritize Keeping the Condenser Area Clear: Even during the winter months when your AC is not in use, it’s important to periodically check and clean your condenser to prevent damage and prolong the lifespan of your HVAC system. Make sure to inspect the unit for any branches, sticks, outdoor debris, or clutter that may have fallen onto or around it, as these can potentially harm your unit. It’s easy to forget about the condenser in the chaos of winter. But leave it alone for too long and you regrettably discover damage when spring arrives. For this reason, stay vigilant and remember to give it a quick inspection every now and then.
- Prioritize Scheduling a Ductwork Cleaning: Ductwork can accumulate dust and debris over time. Regardless of your diligent home maintenance, stray hair, pet fur, and dust naturally gather within your ductwork. Such buildup over the years can negatively impact indoor air quality and reduce system efficiency. To address this, homeowners are advised to have their ducts professionally cleaned every three to five years. If yours is due for a cleaning, try to prioritize having this service completed sometime this year.
By implementing these eight resolutions, you pave the way for a healthier and more efficient HVAC system, ensuring a smoother year ahead for you and your family. Keep in mind that adhering to good practices and establishing positive HVAC habits can optimize the performance of your system.
Call Newark-Heath Heating & Cooling for your HVAC needs anytime. We are here for you all year long! Reach us at (740) 212-5849, or schedule an appointment now by clicking here!