As a homeowner, you may have a long list of things to do every fall before winter creeps in. However, protecting the structure of your home and preventing any inconvenience costs should be on your priority list. You can take precautions to avoid the expenses and inconvenience of winter damage. Below, Newark-Heath Heating & Cooling will help you get started on an awesome priority list, so your home can be well prepared when the cold, harsh weather hits.
- Clean Your Gutters- This will prevent water damage. When gutters and downspouts are blocked with leaves and debris, rainwater may not drain properly. As water overflows from gutters, it can cause water damage to both the interior and exterior of your home.
- Provide a Reliable Backup Power Source- We usually don’t think of these until something goes out, and we tell ourselves I wish I had a backup power source. Consider purchasing a portable power generator to ensure safety—and be sure to follow all guidelines for safe operation.
- Install or Check Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors- Not only do residential fires increase in the winter but so does carbon monoxide poisoning. So it is essential to check that they are in working condition regularly.
- Install Gutter Guards. Gutter guards prevent debris from entering the gutter and interfere with water flow away from the house and into the ground. You can visit your local hardware store to see what options you have for this.
- Check Your Fireplace– This may seem like something that you don’t forget to check because it’s right in front of you each day you sit on the couch; however, the moment you prepare yourself to light your fireplace, you may not think to check anything. So be sure to review this regularly, as anything can get caught inside and around your fireplace.
Now that you’re familiar with the importance of the priority list we’ve provided, what’s next? While there’s no simple answer for how often you should pay attention to this list, it’s best to practice this at least every fall before winter hits so it can help alleviate the risk of a potential homeowner headache.
Prioritize your list, and don’t be afraid to call Newark-Heath Heating & Cooling today at (740) 212-5849, or schedule an appointment now by clicking here!